Toggle high contrast

Working in the UK - a guide to your rights

Report type
Research and reports
Issue date

Working in the UK

Translate: Bulgarian translation  English translation  French translation  Hungarian translation  Italian translation   Latvian translation  Lithuanian translation  Polish translation  Portuguese translation  Romanian translation  Russian translation  Slovak translation​  Spanish translation

PDF downloads: Arabic, BanglaGujaratiHindiMandarinPunjabiTagalog, ​Urdu

Welcome to the TUC guide on your rights at work in the UK. The TUC is the national centre of trade unions in the UK – we represent more than 5 million workers.

Trade unions bring workers together to defend rights at work, make sure workplaces are safe and bargain for better pay and conditions for their members. Find out how to join a union.


The rights you are entitled to at work will depend on the type of worker you are.

What type of worker are you?


Once you have established what category of worker you are, find out what rights apply to you from the links below. 

Pay guidanceRights for expecting or new parentsHours of work and holidaysHealth and safety rights at workDealing with problems at workAgency workersJoin a unionUseful contacts

This online guide was produced with financial support from the European Commission as part of the project ‘Developing information for migrant workers through transnational cooperation’ with trade union partners LIGA in Hungary and Cartel-ALFA in Romania.​ Sole responsibility lies with the author and the European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained herein.

Disclaimer: The legal system of any country is always complex. You should treat this as a guide to the basics. If you think you are losing out, or your employer is breaking the law, you should take further advice here.



Enable Two-Factor Authentication

To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).

Setup now