The National Society for Education in Art and Design (NSEAD) is a professional association and an independent trade union. All Honorary and Full Members have access to support similar to that provided by other teachers' unions. However for those who do not require legal and professional aid, but only the benefits of subject association membership, there is the less expensive option of Associate Membership. The membership benefits provided by the NSEAD include:
- Immediate access to the NSEAD web site for information to keep you up to date with news, views and current developments in art and design education
- Opportunities to participate in networks (online and face-to-face) and to make professional contact with colleagues from all phases of education across the UK and worldwide
- Publications including three issues of AD (the Society's magazine); three online issues of the International Journal of Art & Design Education each year and full access to every article published in the Journal since 1982.
- Recognition by government and governmental agencies including DfE, DENI, SOEID, Ofsted, CCEA(NI), LTS, SQA and The Teaching Agency - the society is consulted regularly and advises on issues related to the subject and more general matters
- Frequent professional development opportunites at concessionary rates through an extensive programme of international, national and regional events
- Access to the NSEAD mail order specialist book shop
- Efficient professional advice on all aspects of employment in education: legal advice and aid is also available to Full Members
- Independence - the NSEAD is not affiliated to any other union or political party.
- Insurance cover against theft of personal effects at work