Toggle high contrast
Published date

If the union is an independent union (i.e. has a certificate of independence issued by the Certification Officer) a number of legal rights follow. These include the right to:

  • disclosure of information by the employer for collective bargaining purposes;
  • reasonable paid time off for union reps to carry out union duties;
  • reasonable paid time off for union learning reps (URLS) to carry out their duties;
  • reasonable unpaid time off for members to carry out union activities;
  • appoint a union safety rep;
  • appoint safety committee representatives;
  • consultation prior to redundancy; and
  • consultation prior to business transfers.

There are Acas Codes of Practice on Disclosure of Information (PDF, 475KB) and Time Off for Union Duties (PDF, 930KB), which give more detail.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication

To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).

Setup now