Toggle high contrast
Published date

You have a legal right to be accompanied to a grievance meeting about your employer's failure to meet its obligations to you, either by a fellow worker or by a trade union official. 

You have the right to be accompanied by a trade union official even if your employer doesn't recognise trade unions (although your union is not under a duty to provide someone to accompany you). If you are to be accompanied by a trade union official, the official must be trained and certified by the union to act as a worker's companion.  

It is up to you who you choose as your companion, so long as they are either a trade union official or a fellow worker. Your employer cannot refuse your choice of representative. 

If you want to be accompanied to the meeting, you should notify your employer, identifying the person who will be accompanying you. The person accompanying you can address the meeting but cannot answer questions on your behalf. 

If you have a disability, your employer must make reasonable adjustments to help you use the grievance procedure and this includes the right to be accompanied. For example, someone with learning difficulties might benefit from bringing a disability support worker. 
Appropriate adjustments should also be made for workers whose first language is not English and young workers in their first job.     

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.
Enable Two-Factor Authentication

To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).

Setup now