Ahead of tonight’s (Tuesday) World Cup semi-final where England will take on the USA, TUC General Secretary, Arsenal and England supporter Frances O’Grady said:
“Working people put in billions of pounds worth of unpaid overtime every year. They should be given a day off if England win the World Cup.
“Let’s not forget that we have fewer bank holidays than most of Europe.
“Come on you lionesses!”
- The TUC is running a petition calling for the government to give another bank holiday in the event that England wins the World Cup: https://www.megaphone.org.uk/petitions/bank-holiday-if-england-wins-the-world-cup?source=tucsite
- The TUC campaigns for more bank holidays, as Britain has the least in Europe except for Romania.
- UK workers are putting in the longest hours in the EU, recent TUC analysis found: https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/british-workers-putting-longest-hours-eu-tuc-analysis-finds
- Recent TUC analysis found that workers in the UK put in more than £32 billion worth of unpaid overtime last year: https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/workers-uk-put-more-%C2%A332-billion-worth-unpaid-overtime-last-year-tuc-analysis
- Congress 2019 will be held in the Brighton Centre from Sunday 8 September to Wednesday 11 September. Free media passes can be obtained by visiting www.tuc.org.uk/applying-media-or-external-visitor-credentials and completing an online form. Applications must be in by noon on Tuesday 27 August. Any received later than that will be processed in Brighton and will cost £75 +VAT.
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox