Unionlearn, the learning and skills organisation of the TUC, has today (Thursday) launched the first ever lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans (LGBT) inclusive guide to apprenticeships.
The new guide, published during LGBT History Month and National Apprenticeship Week, will help union reps fully support LGBT apprentices in the workplace.
LGBT inclusive apprenticeships explores the barriers LGBT people can face at work, explains workplace rights and offers practical advice on how to improve diversity.
It also stresses the importance of clear and robust policies and a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of discrimination and harassment.
The new guide follows TUC research published last year, which found that nearly 7 in 10 (68%) LGBT people reported being sexually harassed at work.
Unionlearn director Kevin Rowan said: “Apprentices come from a wide range of backgrounds. It’s so important for all of them to feel safe at work and able to grow in their chosen profession.
“But many employers could do more to ensure their apprenticeships support lesbian, gay, bi and trans people.
“Bosses need to have policies in place to make sure their workplaces are inclusive – and they need to ensure those policies are working.
“I’d advise any apprentice to join their union. Unions are working hard to build inclusive workplaces and to negotiate effective policies to make working life better for everyone.”
- The new unionlearn guide LGBT inclusive apprenticeships is available at: www.tuc.org.uk/LGBTapprenticeships
- The guide is part of a series of resources unionlearn has produced to provide detailed guidance on apprenticeship issues relating to women in under-represented industries, black, minority and ethnic workers and disabled workers. For more information about unionlearn please visit: www.unionlearn.org.uk
- TUC research on LGBT sexual harassment is available at www.tuc.org.uk/research-analysis/reports/sexual-harassment-lgbt-people-workplace
- National Apprenticeship Week runs from Monday 3 to Friday 7 February 2020. For more information please visit: www.gov.uk/government/news/save-the-date-national-apprenticeship-week-2020-to-be-held-3-to-7-february-2020
- LGBT History Month is every February: https://lgbtplushistorymonth.co.uk/
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
020 7467 1248
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).
You can set it up now or do it later. You have until 28/02/2020 to complete setup after this date you will be not be able to login.