Commenting on the latest employment figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) today (Tuesday), which show a record rise in redundancies of 370,000 and a fall in the number of people on payrolls since February of 819,000, TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said:
“We are staring down the barrel of mass unemployment. There’s no time left to waste.
“Ministers must step up and create jobs. We could create 1.8 million new jobs in the next two years in green transport and infrastructure, and by unlocking public sector vacancies.
“Confusion around the future of the furlough scheme means many workers are losing their jobs unnecessarily. We need a guarantee that support will continue.
“And people who have lost their jobs must get the support they need to make ends meet. We need an urgent boost to universal credit or many face being plunged into poverty.”
- The ONS unemployment statistics are at: www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment
- TUC analysis that we could create 1.2 million jobs in green transport and infrastructure is available here: www.tuc.org.uk/news/tuc-investing-infrastructure-now-could-create-more-million-jobs-over-next-two-years
- TUC analysis that we could unlock 600,000 job vacancies in the public sector is available at: www.tuc.org.uk/news/cut-unemployment-rate-now-unlocking-600000-public-service-vacancies-and-staff-gaps-says-tuc
- The TUC has called on the government to raise universal credit to £260 a week: www.tuc.org.uk/news/tuc-calls-emergency-boost-universal-credit-help-people-through-coronavirus-outbreak
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).