Commenting on the publication of the Living Wage Foundation’s report calling for guaranteed minimum of 16 hours per week for workers that want them, TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said:
“Everyone should have the right to guaranteed hours. But many workers are kept on a string – not knowing how much work they’ll have from one week to the next.
“This can make planning your life and making ends meet a nightmare.
“It’s time to end this limbo and give people fair notice of their hours and compensation if their shifts are cancelled.
“We welcome the launch of this new standard for living hours.”
- To see the Living Wage Foundation’s release click here: https://www.livingwage.org.uk/news/living-hours-campaign-launched-tackle-work-insecurity
- There are 617,000 people working under 16 hours who want more hours. Of these, 558,000 want more hours in the same job, and 59,000 are looking for a new job because they want more hours. (Source, labour force survey Q4 2018)
- TUC polling showed that half (51%) of those on zero hours report having shifts cancelled at less than 24 hours’ notice: https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/zero-hours-contracts-are-still-rife-%E2%80%93-its-time-give-all-workers-rights-they-deserve
- “Income not covering essential costs” is listed as the top reason (33.11%) for food bank referral, according to the latest Trussell Trust end of year statistics: https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/end-year-stats/
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 49 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).