Embargoed until: 00.01hrs Friday 10 March 2017
The TUC is today (Friday) launching a major new survey into how lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) people find working life in the UK.
Despite changes in the law that should have brought an end to discrimination and prejudice, the TUC is concerned that LGBT people are still experiencing difficulties at work:
- In 2013 Stonewall reported that 1 in 4 (26%) LGBT employees were not at all open with colleagues about their sexual orientation.
- More than half (53%) of trans workers have also felt the need to hide their status from colleagues, according to Totaljobs.
- And if you’re a lesbian or bisexual woman you may be at risk of sexual harassment as well as homophobic abuse. TUC research into sexual harassment found that more than half (52%) of women said they have experienced sexual harassment at work.
As a result the TUC wants to carry out a thorough investigation into the experiences of LGBT people at work, and will use the findings to:
- Campaign on the issues most affecting LGBT people in the UK right now.
- Produce training material for union reps to ensure they can best protect and represent their members.
- Help employers create a more inclusive work environment – including training for staff, getting the correct policies in place to prevent discrimination, and supporting LGBT staff if things go wrong.
TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said: “We hope that this comprehensive research will let us shine a light on the range of issues faced by LGBT workers across the UK – many of whom may be experiencing bullying, harassment and discrimination in the workplace and have no one to turn to.
“It’s vital we understand what modern working life is like for LGBT workers, so we can challenge prejudice and have a zero-tolerance policy to homophobia, biphobia or transphobia. We know that getting these policies right makes business sense because employers retain experienced staff from all backgrounds.
“Please take part in our survey and help us campaign for a better working life for LGBT people.”
You can complete the TUC survey at: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LGBTworker
The deadline is Friday 5 May 2017.
Notes to Editors:
- The Stonewall report is available at: www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/Gay_in_Britain__2013_.pdf
- The Totaljobs research is available at: www.totaljobs.com/insidejob/60-of-trans-employees-have-experienced-workplace-discrimination/
- TUC research into sexual harassment is available at: www.tuc.org.uk/equality-issues/sexual-harassment/gender-equality/still-just-bit-banter-sexual-harassment-report
- All TUC press releases can be found at tuc.org.uk/media
- TUC Press Office on Twitter: @tucnews
Press Office T: 020 7467 1248 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex Rossiter T: 020 7467 1285 M: 07887 572130 E: email@example.com
Tim Nichols T: 020 7467 1388 M: 07808 761844 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elly Gibson (Mon to Thurs) T: 020 7467 1337 M: 07900 910624 E: email@example.com
Michael Pidgeon T: 020 7467 1372 M: 07717 531150 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Issued: 10 March, 2017