New disability and 'hidden' impairments survey report and campaign resources published ahead of the Wales Trades Union Congress in Llandudno next week.
The Wales TUC is pleased to announce the publication of its new disability and 'hidden' impairments in the workplace campaign survey report and toolkit.
We recently carried out a major survey of more than 1000 workers in Wales which found that many disabled workers want to see a change in the way that disability is treated at work.
We carried out this research to better understand attitudes towards and experiences of disability in the workplace in Wales, including those of workers with 'hidden' or non-visible impairments . The research gathered statistical evidence as well as the stories of disabled workers to give voice to those experiences.
Key findings of our research include:
- Over a quarter (28 per cent) of disabled respondents said they felt that their employer views disability as a 'problem' in the workplace and 1 in 3 (33 per cent) said they felt their colleagues view disability as a 'problem' in the workplace.
- Around 1 in 3 (32 per cent) of disabled respondents reported that disability had been treated as a 'joke' topic in their workplace, and many reported experiencing harassment.
- Two-thirds of disabled respondents said they felt there was more stigma with disabilities that others cannot see.
- Over half (57 per cent) of disabled respondents said that they do not feel that people were treated equally in their workplace, compared to 38 per cent of non-disabled respondents
- Over three-quarters of all respondents said that their workplace had policies in place to help disabled workers but a significant number reported that these did not work in practice due to poor, non-existent or inconsistent implementation.
The need for further trade union action on the issue to press employers and government for improvements in disability equality in the workplace was supported by the findings of the research. As a result the Wales TUC has put together a list of campaign asks of the Welsh and UK governments as well as a practical toolkit that trade union reps can use to press for improvements in the workplace.
Hard copies of the toolkit, as well as workplace campaign posters and postcards are also available to order from the Wales TUC - please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or tel 029 2034 7010 to order copies. Resources are available in both English and Welsh.
Contact and enquiries:
029 2034 7010