Commenting on figures published today (Wednesday) by the Trussell Trust, which reveal that three times more people used foodbanks between April and September 2013 compared to the same period the year before, TUC General Secretary Frances O’Grady said:
“It’s shocking that three times more people are using foodbanks than 12 months ago.
“One only has to look at the huge rise in foodbanks to see how little support is being given to people who fall on hard times. But instead of recognising the tremendous difficulties people are facing, ministers are blaming them for their plight.
“The Chancellor is talking up a recovery – but for who? These new figures show that despite trying desperately hard to make ends meet hundreds of thousands of people still can’t afford to put food on the table for their families.
“Welfare reforms like the Bedroom Tax have pushed more households into food poverty.”
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- Between April and September 2013 355,000 people used foodbanks, compared to 113,000 between April and September 2012.
- For more information about the Trussell Trust findings on food banks please contact Molly Hodson on 01722 580 182 or email Molly.Hodson@trusselltrust.org
- The TUC’s campaign plan can be downloaded from www.tuc.org.uk/campaignplan
- All TUC press releases can be found at www.tuc.org.uk
- Follow the TUC on Twitter: @tucnews
Liz Chinchen T: 020 7467 1248 M: 07778 158175 E: email@example.com
Rob Holdsworth T: 020 7467 1372 M: 07717 531150 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elly Gibson T: 020 7467 1337 M: 07900 910624 E: email@example.com
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).