Commenting on the latest employment figures published by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) today (Tuesday), which show a record doubling of redundancies to 17,000 compared to last year, the highest single quarterly rise in unemployment on record (29%), and a fall in the number of people on payroll since February of 51,000, TUC Regional Secretary Bill Adams said:
“We are staring down the barrel of mass unemployment. The Chancellor’s ‘winter plan’ for the economy is failing his own region. There’s no time left to waste.
“Conservative MPs in Yorkshire must step up and urge ministers to change tack to create jobs. We could create 60,000 new jobs in Yorkshire in the next two years in green transport and infrastructure, and by unlocking public sector vacancies.
“Confusion around the future of the furlough scheme means many workers are losing their jobs unnecessarily. We need a guarantee that support will continue.
“And people who have lost their jobs must get the support they need to make ends meet. We need an urgent boost to universal credit or many face being plunged into poverty.”
- The ONS unemployment statistics are at: www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment
- TUC analysis that we could create 60,000 jobs in green transport and infrastructure is available here: www.tuc.org.uk/news/tuc-investing-infrastructure-now-could-create-more-million-jobs-over-next-two-years
- TUC analysis that we could unlock thousands of job vacancies in the public sector is available at: www.tuc.org.uk/news/cut-unemployment-rate-now-unlocking-600000-public-service-vacancies-and-staff-gaps-says-tuc
- The TUC has called on the government to raise universal credit to £260 a week: www.tuc.org.uk/news/tuc-calls-emergency-boost-universal-credit-help-people-through-coronavirus-outbreak
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.
Gareth Forest (Lewis)
0113 200 1075
TUC national press office
020 7467 1248
Want to hear about our latest news and blogs?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).