GMB is a large trade union that organises across the UK and Ireland; we’re proud to represent over 500,000 members across the professional spectrum.
We are currently seeking to fill a vacancy for a First Line Support Engineer in the National Administration Unit based in Paisley, Scotland.
The successful post holder will primarily be responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the IT Support Helpdesk. This will involve taking ownership of resolving 1st line support issues as well as allocating jobs to other team members as appropriate, agreeing timescales for resolution and receiving status updates.
The post holder will also liaise with users, regional IT contacts and external suppliers/maintenance providers as required.
The successful candidate will:
• Provide a responsive and effective helpdesk service to end users.
• Ensure that end-user devices (PCs, laptops, mobile devices, etc) are configured in line with GMB's IT standards and that they can connect to the GMB network.
• Ensure that software, upgrades, and peripherals are installed as required.
• Assist with developing checklists and guides to support staff in using GMB's IT systems.
• Ensure all support calls are logged and ensure that a clear and accurate note of issue, the work that has been carried out to date, and any necessary further action is recorded on a helpdesk system.
• Ensure for all support calls, the user's problem is investigated in sufficient detail and they are provided direct technical assistance to address the issue within agreed timeframes. Use Remote Desktop and Network.
• Use Management Software to diagnose and resolve issues where possible. For more complex issues (e.g., related to network infrastructure, application configuration, etc), ensure that the call is either referred to the appropriate IT Technician or is routed through to the most appropriate member of staff within the IT team via an agreed procedure.
• Ensure that users are kept informed as to the status of their support requests and that a follow-up action is in place for all open issues. Deal courteously and efficiently with enquiries and support requests from users and third parties.
• Advise users on the use of PC-based software packages.
We offer sustainable employment to all our staff and have a great team in our head of IT in Paisley that are keen and able to support you through your new journey. The post will be responsible for a wide range of first line support technical inquiries from all staff across the business and provide essential trouble shooting and resolutions to minimise any downtime for colleagues. Other tasks may be assigned by the IT Delivery Services Manger from time to time.
The role is integral to GMB’s IT support needs and requires someone who is keen to progress and continually develop their IT skill set.
Key attributes and personal skills required:
• Good time management and personal organisation
• Positive attitude towards work
• Good communication skills
• A willingness to learn
• Takes initiative
• Works well as part of a team but also uses own initiative
• Interested in the environment, technical & working with digitals systems
• IT skills - Microsoft Office Suite, Windows OS, MDM, Active Directory, O365, Helpdesk admin
If you’d like to apply, please request an application pack from John McCargo, IT Service Delivery Manager by clicking on the link above.
The job description for the role can be downloaded from the link below.
Please note: late or incomplete applications will not be considered, so please ensure you have completed all sections of the application form (including referee details) and submitted no later than the specified deadline.
Want to hear about our latest trade union jobs in your area?
Sign up now to get it straight to your inbox
To access the admin area, you will need to setup two-factor authentication (TFA).