All Wales Annual Equality Briefing - an equality update for all trade union reps and officers
Date: Wednesday 20th September 2017
Venue: The Conference Centre, Tŷ Dysgu, Cefn Coed, Parc Nantgarw, Cardiff/Caerdydd, CF15 7QQ
Timings: 9.15 am to 4 pm
Book your place: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/AWEB17
What is the event about?
This one-day event will provide an essential update on key equality issues for all trade union reps and union professional officers in Wales. It will include keynote speakers, discussions, workshops and an opportunity to network and share best practice with reps and officers from other unions and workplaces.
The agenda for the day includes a morning session with keynote speakers on:
- Equality and Brexit – what are the implications of Brexit for equality law? What are the priorities for unions to secure workers’ rights and protections?
- Unconscious bias – how does unconscious bias cause discrimination at work and what should employers be doing to mitigate its effects?
- Intersectional inequalities at work – what are the barriers faced by people with multiple protected characteristics?
- The menopause in the workplace - find out how to get involved in the Wales TUC campaign and about the new toolkit available for reps.
- Wales as a Nation of Sanctuary – how can workplaces join the campaign?
The event will also include updates on Wales TUC campaigns including hidden disabilities and the Dying to Work campaign, as well as updates on other projects and equality work from other organisations.
Delegates will have an opportunity to choose to attend 2 workshops during the afternoon session. The afternoon will include workshops on the following topics:
- Rights for carers in the workplace – Carers Wales
- Age friendly workplaces - Ageing Well in Wales
- Hidden disabilities (including equality law and reasonable adjustments) - Slater Gordon solicitors
- City of Sanctuary – how your workplace can get involved - City of Sanctuary campaign
- The menopause in the workplace - Wales TUC
- Tackling racism – Wales TUC
- Tackling LGBT+ discrimination at work– Wales TUC
- Sexual harassment in the workplace – Wales TUC
(Please note the agenda and workshops may be subject to change)
Who is the event for?
This event is for all union reps and union professional officers from affiliate unions who are living or working in Wales.
Costs and expenses
This event is free and is open to union reps and officers living or working in Wales. Refreshments and lunch will be provided. The Wales TUC is unable to provide help with travel or subsistence costs but your union may be able to provide assistance with these – please speak to your union in advance for advice. The Wales TUC is able to reimburse reasonable childcare or care costs (through a local authority registered provider) for delegates who need to organise childcare or care of a dependent in order to attend this event.
How to book a place
Please use the online booking form to reserve a place at the event https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/AWEB17
Venue accessibility information
General information about the accessibility of the venue can be found here http://www.cscjes.org.uk/Conference-Centre/Accessibility.aspx but please let us know if you have any access needs
How to find the venue