date: 18 June 2013
embargo: For immediate release
Commenting on the Lough Erne declaration on tax, agreed today (Tuesday) at the G8 summit, TUC General Secretary Frances O'Grady said:
'For all the Prime Minister's welcome pre-summit rhetoric, the G8 declaration fails to deliver what's needed to tackle tax avoidance, and even falls short of the expectations he's set.
'While some progress has been made on automatic information exchange, the agreement on reporting profits to tax authorities is so weak it is bordering on irrelevance.
'Despite the high profile pre-summit lobbying, the British Crown Dependencies appear to have outmanoeuvred the G8 nations and got tax havens out of the agreement altogether.
'We fear the declaration's warm platitudes and hazy rhetoric will be far too easy for global companies to skirt around. Yet another opportunity has been missed to finally get to grips with global tax avoidance and evasion.'
NOTES TO EDITORS:
- The TUC's five tax tests are available at www.tuc.org.uk/economy/tuc-22277-f0.cfm
- The Lourgh Erne G8 declaration is available at www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/207543/180613_LOUGH_ERNE_DECLARATION.pdf
- The TUC's campaign plan can be downloaded from www.tuc.org.uk/campaignplan
- All TUC press releases can be found at www.tuc.org.uk
- Follow the TUC on Twitter: @tucnews
Liz Chinchen T: 020 7467 1248 M: 07778 158175 E: [email protected]
Rob Holdsworth T: 020 7467 1372 M: 07717 531150 E: [email protected]
Alex Rossiter T: 020 7467 1337 M: 07887 572130 E: [email protected]
Issued: 18 June, 2013