The Trades Union Congress:
- brings Britain’s unions together to draw up common policies.
- lobbies the Government to implement policies that will benefit people at work.
- campaigns on economic and social issues.
- represents working people on public bodies.
- represents British workers in international bodies, in the European Union and at the UN employment body - the International Labour Organisation.
- carries out research on employment-related issues.
- runs an extensive training and education programme for union representatives.
- helps unions develop new services for their members.
- helps unions avoid clashes with each other.
- builds links with other trade union bodies worldwide.
You can read the TUC's full rules and standing orders.
Issued: 5 April, 2013